Sultan Abdul Samad Building, Kuala Lumpur

The Sultan Abdul Samad Building is a late-nineteenth century building located in front of the Dataran Merdeka (Independence Square) Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 

The building was designed by A.C. Norman and his assistant R. A. J. Bidwellwith some contributions from A. B. Hubback.  

The construction of the building began in September 1894, the foundation stone was laid on 6 October 1894 by the Governor of the Straits Settlements Sir Charles Mitchell.

 The building was completed in 1897, and was officially opened by Sir Frank Swettenham, the General Resident of the time on 4 April 1897. 

 The building originally housed the offices of the British colonial administration, and was known simply as Government Offices in its early years. 

 In 1974 it was renamed after Sultan Abdul Samad, the reigning sultan of Selangor at the time when construction began.

 It once housed the superior courts of the country: the Federal Court of Malaysia, the Court of Appeals and the High Court of Malaya (1978 - 2007). The Federal Court and the Court of Appeals have since moved to the Palace of Justice located in Putrajaya, the new Federal administrative capital. 

 The building now houses both the offices of the Ministry of Communications and Multimedia and the Ministry of Tourism and Culture of Malaysia.

Source: Wiki